The materials used for the construction of a structure determine the strength and quality of that structure.
The history of construction materials dates back to when primitive men used the available twigs and stones to build homes to protect themselves from wildlife. Now, as the world has progressed, the materials used for construction have come a long way.
The variety of construction materials available in today’s market will make you capable of designing the building you desire.
In this article, we will introduce you to five construction materials of different qualities. When you design a building next time, this article will help you decide what material to choose from the vast sea of construction materials available in the market.
- TMT Steel Bars
Ensuring the strength of the building is pivotal when it comes to construction, and TMT Steels Bars are the best choice for that. Thermo Mechanically Treated Steel Bars (TMT Steel Bars are strong steel bars used to build the structure of buildings.
They offer a great combination of malleability and ductility for buildings and provide protection even during seismic activities.
TMT Steel Bars are available in different grades like Fe 500, Fe 550, Fe 550D, Fe 550 XD, and more, and all vary in strength, flexibility, and elongation properties.
Advantages of TMT Steel Bars
- It has high yield strength, which gives the building load-bearing capability.
- It’s highly durable
- It’s corrosion-resistant
- Its ductility, bendability, and weldability are unmatched
- It can withstand extreme weather conditions.
- It is reliable and efficient in low-cost house construction.
- Aerated Concrete
Aerated concrete is a lightweight precast concrete building material. It is made by introducing air into a slurry composed of Portland cement and fine aggregate.
It is manufactured in factories where it is moulded into blocks ready to be used for masonry. These blocks contain about 80% of air. Hence they are 80% lesser in weight than conventional concrete blocks. You can use them for the construction of walls and floors.
Advantages of Aerated Concrete
- They are lightweight and can be used where structural support is not enough for heavier material.
- The decrease in weight also results in fast construction and lower labour cost.
- Excellent soundproofing quality due to the high amount of air present.
- It provides good thermal insulation.
- It is adept at resisting fire.
- Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks (CSEB)
As awareness for protecting the environment has increased, eco-friendly building materials have also gained more popularity. One such material is CSEB.
Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks (CSEB) are building blocks made of soil, aggregate, and water and stabilized with Portland cement or lime. It is made by mixing all the components and mechanically pressing them in a steel press, and then laying them out to dry.
Advantages of Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks (CSEB)
- It’s an eco-friendly and inexpensive material.
- Its stabilization helps in making CSEB insect-resistant.
- It has high compressive strength. Hence the walls can be made taller than regular mud block walls.
- It’s an energy-efficient material since it saves you 10%-15% on cooling or heating costs.
Bamboo is one of the most underrated, robust, and versatile materials in the world. It has been used for decades to build everything from homes to bridges.
In recent years, bamboo has become a popular choice for construction due to its many benefits. Bamboo is strong, sustainable, and stylish. It is also an excellent choice for construction because it is easy to work with and install.
Advantages of Bamboo
- It is one of the most robust and versatile building materials available.
- It is extremely durable and can withstand extreme weather conditions.
- It is a sustainable resource that you can harvest without damaging the environment.
- It’s relatively easy to work with and can be used in various construction applications.
- Bamboo is an affordable building material that is becoming increasingly popular in the construction industry.
Glass is a very versatile material with a range of benefits for construction. It is solid and durable, making it an ideal material for windows and doors. In modern construction, glass is one of the widely chosen materials since it provides superb utility and helps in uplifting the aesthetics of a building.
Advantages of Glass
- Glass is an aesthetically-pleasing material.
- It lets in natural light.
- It is a recyclable material, hence environment-friendly.
- Low thermal conductivity
- It doesn’t allow water or dust to enter a building
- It is resistant to staining
- It’s easy to clean
We hope that this blog has given you an idea about some of the best construction materials you cannot miss out on. The next time you design a building, you could add these materials to your list of requirements. If you are looking for how to reduce construction cost, you have the best choices in hand.
If you are looking to buy TMT Steel Bars, we are more than glad to help you. Kairali TMT is one of the leading TMT Steel Bars manufacturers in India. Our steel bars are produced through a cutting-edge manufacturing process and boast EQR German Technology which has the capability to absorb energy waves released during Earthquakes.